Geotab Drive ELD vs AOBRD
When the FMCSA announce the ELD (electronic logging device) mandate for the United States, they allowed a grandfather clause for tucks with existing automatic on-board recording devices (AOBRDs). This grandfather period will be ending on December 16, 2019.
ELD Implementation Timeline
|ELD RULE IMPLEMENTATION TIMELINE|
December 16, 2015
ELD final rule published
December 18, 2017
ELD final rule compliance date
December 16, 2019
Full compliance phase
June 12, 2021
Canadian ELD compliance date
AOBRD vs Geotab ELD:
While both AOBRDs and ELDs are designed to record a driver’s duty status, ELDs have several important advancements:
- ELD’s are more streamlined and synchronized better with the online system and the vehicles on-board diagnostic system
- Records location information about the truck at each duty cycle change, plus every 60 minutes while the vehicle is in motion. Much more accurate the AOBRD, which allows manual input and only records location at duty status changes.
- Produces a graphical layout for duty status changes.
- Warns driver of unassigned driver time/miles upon login.
- Defaults to on-duty not driving status when the vehicle has stopped for five consecutive minutes and there is no driver response to prompt the ELD.
- Synchronizes to Universal Coordinated Time.
- Enhanced resistance to tampering.
Other Key differences
- Better Data Transfer: ELD allows you to directly transfer data to FMCSA through the web via email or direct upload to the eRODS system
- In-cab documents: ELD mandate requires drivers to carry in-cab documentation. All the documentation can be found in the Geotab Drive app.
- Special driving categories: The ELD mandate allows for specialized driving categories such as personal conveyance and yard move.
- Editing logs: AOBRD does not contain the history of edits made to driving logs. ELD will record any edit history and does not allow changing of automated generated logs from the device.
For more information of the Geotab Drive ELD platform visit: https://gpstrackingcanada.com/eld-geotab-drive-app.html