Questions about the Electronic Log (ELD) system
With the Canadian ELD manadate approaching in 2020, you may have some questions about the Electronic Log (ELD) system provided by Geotab. Here are some common questions we get here at GPS Tracking Canada.
What information does ELD record?
The ELD system will record the vehicles ignition in order to automatically change your duty status to help drivers reduce fatigue and keep track of their hours of service. The ELD system records the following information:
- Engine hours
- Vehicle miles
- Driver identification
- User authentication
- Motor carrier
How does the ELD work?
Geotab utilizes a system called Cloud ELD which works with the Geotab Drive App, This means the your tracking device and you electronic logging device are connected to Geotab servers via a internet connection. The Geotab Drive app needs a Wifi or cellular connection in order to properly function. Geotab uses the power of its servers to take all you data and process it in near real time.
Can you edit an ELD Log?
Yes, the logs can be edited to a certain extent. Logs can only be edited if the following guidelines are followed. Driving time cannot be edited:
- Driver must make a annotations (note) when the log is edited, explaining the reasoning behind his actions.
- Driver is solely responsible for the logs. If an administrator or someone else edits the log, the driver still has to verify the accuracy of the logs. He or she will be ultimately responsible for the contents of their logs.
- Original ELD log will still be maintained on the system and cannot be edited.
What are the benefits of a ELD system?
The ELD mandate is designed to help both drivers and other road users be more save on the road and create a central system for tracking your logs. It will also reduce costs as keeping records of your duty status (RODS) is a costly when you are dealing with paper logs. Eliminating paper logs reduces risk of errors in record keeping and having a central system allows for better transfers to law enforcement agencies.
Other benefits include:
- Increase driver safety and save lives.
- Automated Recording of Duty Status — By automatically recording duty status for drivers, HOS compliance can be improved.
- More drive time — Drivers no longer have to fill out and submit paper RODS.
- Less administration — Office staff no longer have to process paper RODS.
- Lower paper costs — Paper log books are no longer necessary.
- Support for IFTA and IRP mileage reporting
- Vehicle inspection reporting
- Fuel usage monitoring
- Engine fault reporting — Allows for proactive vehicle maintenance.
- Driver safety monitoring
- Receipt and invoice scanning
- Access to real-time data — ELDs provide a lifeline to data that can be used to increase overall fleet productivity and efficiency.
Are there any risk to the ELD system?
The Geotab system uses a passive tracking device and can be used with your own cell phone or tablet. The device plugs into your diagnostic port and is simple plug and play installation. The device should not effect your vehicle in any way. The Geotab Drive app for ELD is very easy to setup and you can be up and running within a matter of minutes. Additionally, we offer free training to all our clients and encourage our ELD clients to get trained in the system as soon as possible so that they are fully compliant with the regulations.
If you have any questions, please let us know.